Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

This movie was great. I really enjoyed it.
I liked how The Beach Boys were on the soundtrack twice, and was surprised how well the animation worked. I originally thought the film would look primitive as stop motion, but vintage at the same time, but it actually flowed very well and naturally.
I really like Wes Anderson films in general too because you can easily pick out the forms and conventions that he uses consistently in all his films. The dysfunctional. father/son relationship. The male protagonist trying to avoid death by finding something exciting in his life.
Also visually his conventions are consistent. The titles disbursed throughout the film. The static close-up shots of the characters' face. I guess I almost thought Anderson wouldn't be so obvious about his visual techniques since he was using a different medium, but they were all evident. One of my favourites is the shot he uses that's far away and captures the whole room, as if it was a dollhouse. Total borrowing of Godard's Tout Va Bien, and I get excited everytime Anderson uses it in his films.
Since it was a different medium some different things that I thought were cool, and vintagy. When the characters were either absent-minded or knocked out, they would have spirals on their eyes, or x', so awesome. And there were shots with the camera moving with the character, which looked like it was probably elaborate to set up, due to the nature of stop-motion cinematography.
So all things considered this movie is definitely worth checking out, as it's original, and very accessible.

No comments: