Friday, January 04, 2008

Juno (2007)

I rather enjoyed this film. The beginning half I found annoying with it's clever wit, but by the midway point the dialogue had settle into a more comfortable pace. Juno has a very indie feel to it, which felt very deliberate...I think in the not too future (possibly present) time these "indie" films can be studied for what they represent and portray. There's something predictable about these films. Last year's "indie gem" was Little Miss Sunshine. These are not bad films, but they're just as formulaic, and as more as released I wonder what's the point. Just as the Romantic Comedy genre was ruined by Britney Murphy, Kate Hudson etc, I think the Indie Film will eventually be on the edge of ruin if they keep churning out meatloaf like this.
I guess that was just a tip of the iceburg of my genre criticism, but to be fair Juno is a really enjoyable film. It's well acted, well written, and well directed. Special attention to Jennifer Garner for her role, I really believed her need for a baby. The soundtrack was very catchy, in the indie-genre (I'm-going-to-try-not-to-criticize this); I may buy this next week when it's released. A lot of people have been raving about Michael Cera's performance in this film. Yeah, it's good, but I don't think it's anything extraordinary or different from what he's already done.
Ah well, I say check out this film because you probably will enjoy it. I think I've become jaded because I've seen my share of indie films over the past few years.

No comments: