Monday, March 10, 2008

Across the Universe (2007)

Overall this movie was alright. I wasn't expecting much because I had heard mixed reviews, but was really impressed by the cinematography, and also the song choice. A couple of the tunes I didn't recognize, which was nice. For anyone who hasn't heard of this film, it is set in the 60s, a dramatization of the significant events that occurred done as a musical using exclusively Beatles music. The concept is definitely intriguing. This film in the end I found hard to categorize because it's a whole lotta too much going on. I haven't counted, but I'm sure it covers every major film genre. I enjoyed the musical genre of it, and also the coming of age segments, but the war scenes I found too graphic, and a rough juxtaposition after the free spirited first half of the film. Some parts were dumb, like the scene where the young lovers are making out, naked underwater. Yeah it's looks cool with their hair all floaty like, but really, I don't need to see a naked Evan Rachel Wood. That girl has always had a creepy undertone to her, even here, when she plays the sweet innocent American girl.
I say check out this film if you'd like to hear some cool new versions of classic Beatles' tunes. The story is pretty much fluff, but that's understandable, since it totally takes second chair behind the music.

No comments: