Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TIFF '08

RocknRolla
I enjoyed this film for what it was. It was a Guy Richie wham-bam shoot-em up mobster flick, so if you've seen Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, you know what's coming to you if you sit down in front of this film.
Guy Richie is a director I feel indifferent towards. I could do without the incomprehensible English accents his actors have, but his cinematography and editing is so slick I can't turn away, even if the characters are being dunked into a tank of live, starving crayfish. The soundtrack was cool, Gerard Butler was as sexy as ever, but Thandie Newton was annoying as hell. Her body is like a toothpick; I was just waiting for someone to accidentally snap her in half.

O'Horten
I fairly enjoyed this film. It was the complete opposite to my morning film that day, RocknRolla, but I felt O'Horten had a good message. The film was about train conductor as he's about to retire. It shows how his life revolved around his job, and he didn't have much else of a life beyond that. The film follows him as he is picking up the pieces of his life. He visits old acquaintances, he has an awkward unplanned run-in with a 6 year old, and pretty much learns how to spend all his free time. Set in Norway, the landscape really fits the mood of the character. The character of O'Horten didn't seem ready to retire. His job was his identity, and I think anyone can relate to the sense of loss when something significant in your life is over.

Cold Lunch
This was the second Norwegian film I saw at the festival. Lately I've really wanted to visit Scandinavian countries, so I tried to pick movies from this geographic area. Cold Lunch was also a very touching film. The characters all have problems in their lives that they need to come over themselves, but have trouble acknowledging that they have these problems. One girl lived his life isolated in her father's apartment, so then the day he dies, she has trouble having an independent life. One other guy has trouble saving money and being honest to the people around him. He also does not know how to take initiative. Then another lady has a baby, but is in an abusive relationship with his husband, but she is so passive toward him, that she never has the guts to leave him. All these stories are told in vignettes, all separate from one another, but still told over the same time. The ending was pretty disappointing without giving any factual information away, none of the characters learn how to get over their troubles. They are all the same as how they were at the beginning of the movie. I guess this film is trying to say that in essence people don't change, when they don't feel like changing.

Edison and Leo
This movie was really cute. It was the first Canadian movie I watched at the festival and I really enjoyed it. At first thinking it was a children's movie, I was quickly corrected with the obvious display of adult humour and innuendos. The film is a claymation fictional story about Thomas Edison and his son Leo. The humour is pretty ranchy, and it's hilarious watching claymation version of Edison trying to hook up with all these random women. Definitely something to check out for some ridiculous humour, with a random historical twist.

JCVD
This has got to be my favourite film at this years festival. It had most, if not everything that I look for in a film. Satire, action, humour, self-deprecation, good cinematography, good pacing, French language, and an non-Hollywood ending. The premise is Jean-Claude Van Damme plays himself, in a fictional story, where he is being framed for holding up a post-office. Without giving anyway any tasty details, just imagine the possibilities, ha. I really enjoyed this film. It'll be hard to top.

My Mother, My Bride & I
This was a heart touching German film about a middle-aged man who lives with his mother, but it looking for love. He goes through a mail-order service, in neighbouring Romania, and comes back with a charming young lady. The mother and bride have conflicting values, so drama ensues through most of the film.
I really like how this film was shot. No tripods were used, and, as the director said in the Q & A, he made all the shots come from a person's point of view, so at eye level. This perspective gave the film a very natural look and got the audience involved with the film. The actors were very realistic, and gave very good performances. I enjoyed this film also.

Me and Orson Welles
This was a cute film, it wasn't profound in anyway, I didn't learn any of the great misteries of life, but it definitely had some spunk. The story is a high school kids finds himself working on a production of Julius Caesar directed and staring Orson Welles. This is the kid's dream (note: Zac Efron plays the kid, so much of my reason to see this film was to be able to make fun of Efron, in my head, ha).
Overall the film is pretty meh. Props to the guy playing Joseph Cotton. Cotton was an amazing actor back in those days, and it was good to see him represented well today. Clare Danes, playing the love interest was really annoying, but then again, I've never been a fan of hers, something about her mannerisms are just so contrived. The guy playing Orson Welles was decent, but didn't have the grandeur that the real Welles commanded (but hey, that'd be hella hard to duplicate).
Also this film was directed by Richard Linklater, which is the strongest reason why I chose to see this film. He does a fine job; I'd say this is one of his Hollywood films, a la Bad News Bears and Fast Food Nation.

Coopers' Camera
This movie was sooo funny. I can't even think of a word that could describe how funny it was. I honestly laughed for 85% percent of this film, it was great (but I'm sure the packed house of like-minded individuals only encouraged the contagious laugher). The story is of a guy who gets a video camera for Christmas for his family, and the whole film is actually shot with the camera. The film takes place in 1985, so it has a very grainy look, and is pretty much a means of representing anyone's dysfunctional Christmas celebration from back in the day (who didn't have one of those massive camcorders and stalked family members around the house, thinking they were the most creative person in the world...ha) The film is chalk full of talented Canadian actors, which was awesome, and the director is actually from my hometown, which made it ever more cool.
I hope this film gets some distribution, but seeing how it's shot to look like a grainy video, and the star quota isn't really there, the olds are looking slim for some good exhibition of this film. But I definitely recommend this one for some good laughs.

3 Wise Men
This was the weakest film I saw at the festival, sadly. They can't all be winners. The film takes place mostly in a bar, where three old friends are catching up with one another. One of them has just become a father, so they are drinking to celebrate. The pre-bar scenes I found to be disconnected and not explained well. The director, before the movie, said this film only took about 11 days to shoot, and I think that's evident in the quality of the film. I think this story would work very well as a theatre production. The dialogue was strong, but told through the cinematic medium it comes through as very diluted. I was hoping there would be a good message about life, at least toward the end of the film, but that didn't come through. It was an interesting film to watch, but I left feeling unchanged. Ah well, there's always at least one film that doesn't rub you right.

No comments: