Sunday, September 14, 2008

Death Proof (2007)

I was surprisingly impressed with this movie. I originally had Death Proof pegged as a cheesy thrill-seekers horror movie, and I guess in a way it was, but it really stood up against my preconceived perception of the film.

In essence the film is damn sexy, and I think that’s what Tarantino intended the feel of the movie to be. The girls he chose for his victims and avengers ooze with sexiness. Their hair, their bodies, and their dialogue are all awesome, kudos to Tarantino for casting well.

Another thing I liked about this film, as I mentioned earlier, is the dialogue. Everything is just so snappy, and natural feeling, it’s hard to try to not memorize the lines.

The film nut in me is also gaga over the cinematography, and editing. Tarantino wanted to give Death Proof a vintage old feel to it, as if the celluloid had literally started to fall apart from wear-and-tear, as grind house movies from the 70s experienced. It shows that Tarantino had put the time and energy into setting up his compositions. One of my favourite shots is when the character Arlene a.k.a. Butterfly is having a smoke on the porch of the bar, during a rainstorm. The lighting is just right, as mostly a backfill, and Tarantino does this magnificent slow zoom-in on Arlene as she’s reflecting on the night’s recent events.

The soundtrack is also killer. I needs me to download that mutha.

One funny weakness to the film is Tarantino’s performance as Warren the bartender. What a douchebad. While I did laugh at his line “If Warren says it, we do it”, it really takes away from the general mood that he is trying to set for this movie.

No comments: