Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek (2009)

This movie was enjoyable, but that's about it. I was at the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole time because of the action, and I left it feeling satisfied, but didn't leave me wanting more. Maybe it's because I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I didn't feel "excited" to see what will happen in the next movie.
Don't get me wrong, there were aspects of the film that I found awesome. The casting was well done. I loved Simon Pegg as Scotty, Leonard Nimoy making a cameo as his character, and thought it was hilarious Tyler Perry has a bit part for 2 scenes, in what seemed like a blink-and-miss role. Random casting of Winona Ryder as Spock's mom was creepy, but the kitsch quality of it made it funny.
The soundtrack was also amazing. I think the audio probably kept my attention more than the CGI/visuals (even though they were good too).
I saw it with my dad, who's a huge Star Trek fan, and he was weirded out that Spock and Kirk don't get along for most of the film, and that Spock is the captain for a good part of it. I guess these were ploys to try to appeal to a younger generation. I have to admit too that the love story between Spock and the chick (who has a weird name) strange, since his character originally isn't supposed to have feelings.
I recommend this movie if you want some decent action, with a meh story. I guess I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be because Star Trek follows a lot of the familiar forms and conventions of films in this genre, and it doesn't try to break the mold at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Julia,

The chick is Ohura the communications officer.

Cybraptr